pretty duffle bag for dirty laundry

A girl's laundry bag

A trip to Rockhampton to visit our son and his wife in their first home was motivation to finally make that laundry bag I've had in my head for a while. I'd bought the canvas and quilting cotton fabrics when Amy Sinibaldi released her first pretty fabric range called "Paperie".


I was enchanted by the soft, happy colours Amy used in her debut range and have since discovered how well the colours complement other fabric ranges as well. Win, win :)
The main fabric used in the exterior is the cotton canvas weight. It is heavier than the quilting cotton and is very good to sew, but remember it frays quite easily being a coarser weave. 

The Half Square Triangles, or HSTs, are mainly made with the "Paperie" quilting weight range, along with a few other random fabrics thrown in to stop the bag from looking too "matchy-matchy".



The top has a drawstring to make using it a breeze. I love how the ends of the cord turned out in the green spot.


As well as the long adjustable strap down the side to carry the bag, there is a separate loop at the top to hang the bag on a hook.


There are two zippered pockets, one lined with laminated fabric for damp items ....


and one lined with quilting cotton for washing machine money, pegs, stain remover, washing powder etc.


The interior is completely lined with laminated fabric. Laminated fabric is quite supple and durable so a perfect choice where moisture is expected. It is quite easy to sew but be aware pins can't be used except in the seam allowance, as the pin holes will remain. A teflon coated foot for the sewing machine is handy if you're sewing with the plastic coated side up.
The bag is easily washed in the washing machine but I will hang it outside on the washing line to dry. 


The house which my son and his wife bought was built in the late sixties/ early seventies ... retro! Having previously had only one owner, it has retained almost every original feature except the wall paint and the vinyl flooring. I haven't decided yet whether I was amused or horrified to find I recognised so many of the finishes on the house from my own childhood.
I think Gaudi may have inspired these stairs.



Rockhampton is an old city, by Australian standards, and has some beautiful old buildings like the Catholic cathedral.



The B&B where we like to stay is called "Athelstane House" . It's a very pretty old house, of the style we Queenslanders call "Queenslanders"! :) It features wide planked timber floors, weather board exterior and is trimmed with wrought iron lace. 


I'm told "Beef Week" in Rockhampton is very b.i.g.



Thank you for popping in to say hello. Until next time, 
best wishes,
Kellie
xo






  

5 comments

  1. I like this bag Kelly, we should have a class to make it :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cathy :) Have your people call my people and we can all get together for coffee and cake!! lol xo

      Delete
  2. Having pretty things to use makes things like laundry more interesting, doesn't it? I love the ends of the drawstrings, they look so cute!

    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right, adding pretty to chores makes a big difference :) I'm glad you liked the drawstring ends too xo

      Delete
  3. I love the idea of using the the waterproof fabric on the INSIDE and then being free to choose the outside fabric .... brilliant!

    ReplyDelete

© Sew Mimi.K

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig